Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Next Up: D.C. Don Juan take a "Lookie Looky"

From humble beginnings in the Bronx, New York, Maurice Campbell a.k.a D.C. Don Juan lived the life of a star and drifter, all before he began his pursuit of hip-hop notoriety. No one would have guessed this emerging artist would have brushed elbows with the likes of Carmelo Anthony, Allen Iverson, and others while rapping at the age of nine (9), or maybe so. His family have always been strong proponents of his creativity, harvesting confidence, persistence through strife, and love. All those key components molded him into the artist known today as D.C. Don Juan. The journey has just begun for this artist, here's your chance to read the many experiences from Mr. Lookie Looky himself.

SF: When did you first start rapping?
DCDJ: When I was 9 years old, my uncle (my mother's youngest brother)use to rap and I wanted to be like him. He also use to write for me. What most people don't know is that I use to do hard core rap. I use to battle a lot, I got tired of it. so I started doing positive music, I love the attention I get from the positivity.

SF: Who is your inspiration?
DCDJ: My Uncle and life, my everyday experiences are my inspiration. for example when I moved to Maryland from New York, I got called a bama, but those same people are the ones trying to be cool with me today. On a musical level I like the fact that Nelly sold Diamonds on his first album, I love Ludacris animation and I like Lil Wayne's confidence. If you put all three of them together you will have me. It's art!

SF: Where did you get the name D.C. Don Juan?
DCDJ: My name is Maurice DaJuan Campbell, my mother always calls me Don. D.C. is for Don Campbell and Don Juan is from Magic Don Juan. But I don't pimp women, I am very respectful. I pimp my CD.

SF: How did your music career start?
DCDJ: After graduating high school I moved to Denver, Colorado, and I stayed with DeMar Johnson for two (2) years. I use to hang out with guys like Carmelo Anthony and Allen Iverson. Being there made me realize I wanted all that they had for myself, that was my I opener.

SF: Who is your music for?
DCDJ:I Love Those Who Love Me, I am an R&B rapper so it's for those who like to listen. I am never ignorant or disrespectful, I love to speak to the ladies. My music is paradise.

SF: How would you compare yourself to other artist?
DCDJ: I don't listen to other artist (rap) music, I do look for whatever is hot and evolve with the game.

SF: You have a quote that you live by entitled I Love Those Who Love Me. How did you come up with "I Love Those Who Love Me"?
DCDJ: Me and my boys have a group called UN it means Us Or Nuffin, its loyalty first, it's a way of life. Plus it's to many people to shout out and that's my way of showing love back to all my supporters. There's haters out there and if I give them attention it gives them room to grow.

SF: Your website is also entitled "I Love Those Who Me" what is your website about?
DCDJ: It's about everything I like, Music, Models, Positivity and it's Uplifting. I feature a model of the day, models are just like artist, they have to perfect their craft. Its a platform for them, for my supporters to get a chance to find out who they are and for their supporters to get a chance to support me, to me support is better than sex. I feature these models on my site as an appreciation, because I appreciate what they do, it's a thank you.

SF: What made you focus on D.C. Don Juan the artist?
DCDJ:When I was staying in that $7 million dollar mansion chilling. Driving cars that wasn't mine. One day I got up and moved to ATL, the music business was popping down there. I remember sleeping on the couch and eating boiled eggs, but I didn't care because I wanted to be an artist. While in Atlanta I met with Polow da Don, Boo of Boo & Gotti and Cat Richy (who is Yung berg's brother). I started learning the game, I hosted my own night at a nightclub called Cat walk Thursdays at The Underground because I had a song out called Catwalk. I later signed to Nu Entertainment in Atlanta and they moved me to L.A. eThey told me I needed to in my city so I moved back to D.C.

SF: How do you stay grounded?
DCDJ:I keep working, I only roll with six people. That's myself, my mother (Sheila Campbell), Anthony Hampton, Zac Taylor, DJ Heat, Que (Formly of Day 26) and Dawn Richard(Dirty Money).

SF: So you are friend's with Que ?Explain your relationship with him?
DCDJ: We're under the same management (SoulWorld Entertainment/Cliff Jones) he is part of the reason why I came over to SoulWorld, because I was in between management. When I met Que we went into the studio and instantly there was an artistry bond. I like working with R&B artist more, they are more humble, rappers have egos.

SF: What is your ultimate goal?
DCDJ:To show the game my talent, it's a lot of people in game that have disappointed the game, it seems unreal. But of course I want to win a Grammy, I don't have to be #1 or sell millions of records I just want to be heard.
SF:What do you have in store for the future?
DCDJ:I have my first tour, I will be on Dawn & Que's reality show, my Lookie Looky remix (out now) and my UN-Dressed Lingerie Line (coming soon).

SF: Is there anything else that you would like to add?
DCDJ:Don Juan is coming, Pay attention! Every Wednesday I have Juanted Wednesdays where you can check out my music on I Love Those Who Love Me.com. I gotta show love to Tigger,( WPGC 95.5 I'm on the morning show opening song) DJ Quicksilva, DJ Reds and my official DJ, DJ Heat. An Artist two best friends should be an engineer and a DJ. DJ's have a lot of power, they spin records in clubs and on the radio for thousands of people to hear and the engineer controls your sound.

SF: Thank you for time and I wish you much success in your future!
DCDJ: Thank you I appreciate it.



Listen: Lookie Looky Remix featuring Que & Dawn Richard


Are you on twitter? Follow D.C. DON JUAN: @IamDonJuan

No comments:

Post a Comment